Emeraude Coty. That was my mom’s favorite perfume. With four children buying it for her every Mother’s Day, birthday and Christmas, there came a time when she told us, “kids I have enough.” LOL. At one point I remember she had 5 unopened bottles of it on her dresser. I had forgotten about it until last May when we were in mom’s bedroom getting clothes for my dad’s funeral. I looked on her dresser to see one bottle of Emeraude Coty with about a half inch of perfume left in the bottle. I asked her if she had bought that bottle and she said, “No, that’s what’s left from what you kids bought for me.” Whoa! I’m pretty sure that after 30 plus years that bottle of perfume really needed to be thrown out. But it wasn’t empty yet (wink and a smile).
On a recent cleaning spree, I found numerous beauty products in my bathroom that I had no idea of how old they were or if it was safe to still use them. So I started doing my own online research.
I found http://checkcosmetic.net/ very helpful and was able to find the expiration date for many of my “mysterious” products. Most of the products I “carbon dated” ended up in the trash. I found some really interesting information that I want to share it with you.
There’s no federal requirement for manufactures to put expiration dates on makeup or beauty products. But the products don’t last forever. As a general guideline, there is a two to three year shelf life for these products to allow for the manufacturing, distribution, and marketing.
Once the product is opened and exposed to air, your body and other surfaces, bacteria begins to grow. This leads to the product’s break down and possible skin irritation, allergic reaction and infection if used beyond its expiration date. For your health and to get the most from your beauty products, here are some tips I found in my research.
Here are the PAO (Period After Opening) recommendations for replacing your products:
Every three months: Replace your mascara and liquid liner
Every six months: Replace your skin-care regimen, sunscreens, and liquid foundation
Every year: Replace your hair products (except hair spray)
Every two years: Replace your powder-based cosmetics (such as pressed powder and shadows), lipsticks, perfume, body lotions, and nail polishes
- Natural products have a shorter shelf life because there are no preservatives in them. Use 6 months as a guideline for replacement.
Creams, gels and liquids will expire before powders.
- Sharpen eye and lip pencils at least once a week to prevent bacteria from building up. Regularly sanitize your sharpens with rubbing alcohol.
- Clean your brushes at least once a month. Once a week is better. I use The Brush Guard product to dry my brushes.
- Exposing your cosmetics to extreme temperate changes, high humidity levels, and direct sunlight will shorten the life span of your products and accelerate the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Wash your hands before using your products.
- Toss out eye products after you have had an eye infection.
- Never share your products with anyone else.
Purchasing products in jars should be avoided. The product is exposed to more air and using your fingers to scoop product out will introduce germs and bacteria to the contents of the jar even if you wash your hands. If you have products in jars, use a small cosmetic spatula or disposable applicator to scoop out the product. Don’t use your fingers.
- Use samples or buy the smallest size available when trying a product for the first time.
- Use it or lose it. Don’t save your beauty products for special occasions only. If they make you feel pretty, wear them all the time.
- If there is a change in the smell, texture, color or consistency of the product, throw it out immediately.
- Never add water or saliva to thin out or revive a product.
- Don’t “pump” your mascara wand to get more product. You’re adding additional air to the bottle which will cause it to dry out and grow more bacteria.
- Never buy merchandise with broken seals or damaged containers.
If you’re experiencing itchy, irritated eyes or skin, there’s a possibility that one of your care products has expired. If in doubt, throw it out.
Pageant Preparation Special for the Pageant Princess or Queen in your life for $59 (+$12 S&H). Only 41 left at this price!
To celebrate the launch of my new 60 minute training DVD, Take The Stage, I am offering the 60 minute training DVD, the Pageant Planner and a set of 12 interview cards for $59 (+$12 S&H). Individually, these items would cost $89.
This is an affordable training kit for the pageant princess or queen in your life.
WTP Take The Stage Training DVD
The Winning Through Pageantry Take The Stage™ training DVD is a must have training tool for natural beauty pageants. The depth of information shared in this video will further polish your on stage presence.
Remember, the judges cast their final vote when you are on stage in your evening gown. Your overall stage presence and appearance will determine your final placement.
In this 60-minute DVD, you will learn:
- proper posture and alignment,
- foot positioning,
- timing of your turns,
- multiple walking patterns,
- stage presence,
- microphone etiquette,
- Numerous tips as Rhonda demonstrates all of these techniques.
The modeling style taught in this video will work for those contestants competing in the following natural pageant systems:
- Miss American Coed (MAC),
- National American Miss (NaMiss),
- Miss America,
- America's Outstanding Teen,
- Miss Teen USA,
- Miss USA,
- Mrs. America,
- Mrs. United States,
- Teen, Miss and Mrs. International,
- America's National Teenager (Antso),
- American Royal Beauties
- Any of the numerous systems that follow the standards of a natural pageant.
Contestants who are brand new to pageantry or have done a couple pageants in the past; and those who do not have pageant preparation resources close to them will benefit most from this DVD. Even if you feel confident in your modeling skills, the numerous tips shared in this DVD will take your onstage presence to the next level.
Please allow up to 14 days to receive your DVD. This is being shipped from a separate vendor. The DVD is readable in all countries around the world but should you receive a defective DVD, a replacement one will be sent.
Rhonda Shappert, is both an iPEC and ICF certified expert pageant coach. In addition to holding multiple titles herself, her clients have won titles at local, state, national and internationals pageants. Her award winning newsletter is received weekly by thousands internationally. She has helped her clients win local, state, national and international titles.
With over 30 years experience in the pageant industry as a contestant, titleholder, judge, emcee, staff member, coach and mother of daughters who compete, there isn't an area of pageantry she doesn't fully understand.
The WTP Pageant Planner
The Winning Through Pageantry Pageant Planner from Holdon contains organizational pages for logging and tracking 100 pageant related events. Each form records Event Details, Contact Info, Event Expenses, and Post-Event Info. There is also an Income Management Section to record payment details.
Now logging & tracking your pageant-related event details is easy!
- High-quality product
- 8.5" x 11"
- Finished coil-bound spine
- Vinyl front and back covers for durability
- Your contact information
- Important pageant contacts (i.e. - coach, director, salon, etc.)
- Other contact information
Live Performance Forms
- Logging & tracking forms to track up to 100 pageant-related events (i.e. - consultations, media events, autograph signings, etc.)
- Log event requirements (i.e. - crown & banner, opening number wardrobe, script, etc.)
- Record all of your event expenses and mileage for tax purposes
- Post Event area (i.e. - what you wore, who you met, guests, etc.)
Income & Reimbursement Management
Record income & reimbursement details (Pageant/Event Name, Event Date, Payment, etc.)
Pageant Target List
Target Pageants, know special requirements, competition, categories, entry fees, etc.
A section dedicated to Pageant Industry professionals you wish to keep in contact with
- Keep your notes handy and accessible
- Add any thoughts, suggestions or ideas
- 12-month, day-by-day, fill-in calendar section (non-time sensitive, fill-in as you go)
- 24-month quick-view calendar section
- Promo Material Pocket to hold self-promotional material that you can pass around (i.e. - promo postcards, headshots, flyers, etc.)
- Notes Pocket to store any speeches, top-5 question notes, etc.
The WTP Interview Card Set
What kind of questions will the judges ask me in interview?
What if I don't have an answer?
The ability to answer questions about you, your family, platform, goals, community and pop culture in a clear way is an important life skill. The more practice you have in conversing with people, the better your speaking skills will become.
Over 1000 contestants from ages 7 to 80 around the world have used these cards and reported back to me that they were confident and prepared for their pageant interview. Many of my clients receive the highest interview scores.
As a contestant and judge, these are real questions that I have asked, been asked, or heard other judges ask in the interview room. I know they are effective and relevant because my clients and pageant family on Facebook have told me several times that they have experienced other pageant coaches and judges using my cards. By the way, I take this as a compliment, not a threat :).
Outstanding features of this 12 card set includes:
- Over 200 questions covering 12 diverse subjects. Each card has questions dedicated to one topic. For example, there are 56 questions on the "favorites" card.
- The back side is blank so you can jot down your ideas for answers.
- Being the size of a recipe card, they are easy to carry and you can practice anywhere.
The DVD will arrive separately from the planner and the interview cards. With the holiday mail delivery, please allow up to 14 days for delivery.
$89 $59 (+$12 S&H)
Rhonda Shappert is an expert pageant coach, an iPEC Certified Professional Coach, an Energy Leadership Index Master Practitioner, and an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) with the International Coach Federation (ICF).
She created Winning Through Pageantry® to partner with pageant contestants and their support people to provide complete pageant preparation, achieve winning results in life through pageantry, and to Succeed From The Inside Out®.
She has over 30 years experience in the pageantry world as a contestant, judge, emcee, staff member, mother of daughters who compete, Mrs. Ohio America 2005, and has held multiple titles at the local, state and national levels.
Rhonda graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelors degree in Musical Theater from The Ohio State University and has performed on stage in 15 countries on the Asian, European and American continents. This mother of three home educates their children and has been married 23 years to her husband Stephen, is the former mayor of her community, and serves on the Board of Trustees for the Ohio Virtual Academy. She and her husband perform original contemporary Christian music. For more information on Rhonda, visit www.WinningThroughPageantry.com.